GTOA Member Information/Transitions

The Passing of Robert Stay (posted 9/7/15)

ROBERT STAY - At Rest September 4, 2015

After a long battle of several illnesses, Robert passed on Friday, September 4, 2015. Robert was a long time member of the GTOA in both football and basketball. He also had a very long career in baseball as an umpire. He could be found all around Sand Springs, volunteering his time to coach little league teams, and Salvation Army sporting activities. An outdoorsman, Robert enjoyed hunting, fishing, and sports of all kinds. The GTOA will continue to keep Robert and his family in our thoughts and prayers.

The Passing of Mark Haggard (posted 7/2/15)

MARK HAGGARD - At Rest July 1st, 2015

Mark suffered a brain aneurysm in July of 2015. He was found on the floor at home, and taken to a Claremore hospital and immediately airlifted to Tulsa. After initial evaluation, he was transfered to an OKC hospital for emergency surgery, specializing in stroke and aneurysm treatment. Mark was put on a ventilator after the the surgery, and never regained consciousness. On July 1, 2015, the ventilator was turned off, and Mark passed away. Mark was a long time member of the GTOA, and worked on Harold Alspaugh's crew among others. We will always keep Mark and his family in our prayers remembering this emotional transition in their lives.

Several GTOA members were in attendance for his Celebration of Life Services, held in Claremore, OK. Mark was remembered for his service to Rogers State University, love of athletics and dedication to his family and friends, to include his 26 year marriage to his wife Susan, and his undying love and devotion to his children Marcus and Megan.

Todd Ragsdale (posted 5/22/15)

Todd had to have his right hip replaced due to severe arthritis. This will keep him off of the field for the 2015 football season, due to the recovery process and rehab that will need to be completed. Unfortunately, his left hip is just as bad, and will be replaced over the 2015 Labor Day Weekend. Once the left hip is replaced and recovery and rehab is complete, he will be able to start strengthening and conditioning both hips under a sports conditioning program that will allow him to be fully recovered by the start of the 2016 football season, and return to the field.

The Passing of Daryl McGee (posted 6/11/2014)

DARYL MCGEE - At Rest June 9th, 2014

Daryl McGee, GTOA Crew Chief, passed away on June 9th, 2014, after a lengthy battle with cancer. Daryl was a long time member of the association and worked his way into the Referee position. He took young and veteran officials on his crew, and continually provided training and improvement techniques in an effort to put the best officiating product on the field for his assigned games. This was a trough transition for the GTOA and Daryl's family. The GTOA provided flowers and condolences for Daryl's final arrangements on Saturday, June 21st, and we will continue to keep his memory alive and well within our association.

Don Robison (posted 6/6/2014)

Don suffered a small stroke (TIA), in June of 2014. His hospital stay was brief and he was sent home to recover. Please keep Don and his family in your thoughts and prayers as he continues to improve his health.

Charlie Payne & His Wife (posted 11/18/2013)

Charlie's wife suffered a stroke on Tuesday, October 29th, 2013. She is now recovering. And, oddly, while visiting his wife in the hospital after her stroke, Charlie suffered a heart attack on Sunday, November 3rd in the lobby of the hospital. He was immediately admitted and received stints to alleviate some arterial blockage. The GTOA sent flowers to both, while they work through their recovery time.

The Passing of Todd Ragsdale's Father (posted 5/20/2013)

Todd's father passed away on the evening of Saturday, May 18th, 2013 after several long illnesses. He was given a military funeral, having spent 21 years in the Marine Corps, and retiring as a First Sergeant. The GTOA sent a flower arrangement, and a few individual crews sent flowers as well. Several GTOA Members were in attendance at the service, and stayed for the brief reception.

The Passing of Mike Bradley (posted 4/9/2013)

Mike passed away on Monday afternoon, April 8, 2013. He was the son of Bill Bradley, a long time football official, and member of the GTOA. Mike played baseball at TU and officiated three (3) State Championship football games. Mike and his Dad Bill, are the only father/son duo who has ever been inducted into the OSSAA Official's Hall of Fame.

Robert Stay (posted 8/10/2012)

Robert had a mild heart attack on Friday, August 3rd, 2012. He was taken to St. John's Hospital for treatment and observation. Robert is now recovering with a positive prognosis.

The Passing of John Iveson (posted 7/9/2012)

John passed away in early July 2012. He was a former member of the GTOA and was inducted into the GTOA Hall of Fame in 2001. A flower arrangement was provided by the association in his memory.

The Passing of Don Gasaway (posted 3/27/2012)

Don passed away in late March 2012. Don was a former member of the GTOA and later moved on to work with the NFL and Arena Leagues to scout potential prospects as officials. He spent several years attending games and evaluating officials from the area. He would send his evaluations to the respective professional and NCAA supervisors with comments and recommendations for advancement. Don is survived by his son Scott Gasaway, who is also a former GTOA official and currently working in the Conference USA. The GTOA provided a flower arrangement in his memory.

The Passing of John O'Meilia's Mother (posted 2/17/2012)

John's mother passed away in Feburary of 2012. The GTOA provided flowers and condolences while John and his family work through this life transition.

David Webbert (posted 2/17/2012)

Dave had another surgery on his knee in February 2012 to repair damange that seems to be continuing. Please keep Dave in your thoughts as he recovers so that hopefully he can return to the officiating ranks.

Larry Cato (posted 2/10/2012)

Larry was involved in a car accident in early 2012 and recieved some serious injuries to his neck, which required surgery. Thankfully, Larry was released from the hospital to recover at home. The GTOA wishes him all the best as his recovery process continues!

The Passing of Byron Ivory's Son (posted 2/6/2012)

Byron Ivory, Jr. was the victim of a tragic robbery that also resulted in his death early Saturday morning, February 4, 2012. He was 24 years old. This will be a very difficult event for Byron, Sr. and his family to overcome. Please provide your thoughts and continued prayers as the Ivory family works through this emotional time.

Darrin Carpenter (posted 2/2/2012)

Darrin recieved a kidney transplant during the week of January 30, 2012. His wife was tested and was able to provide a match for Darrin. Matching is sometimes a very difficult process. However, this positive match allowed Darrin to move forward with treatment immediately. The GTOA wishes only the best for Darrin while he recovers!

The Passing of Bob Titsworth's Daughter (posted 2/2/2012)

Bob's daughter was killed in an auto accident in January 2012, she was 25 years old. This was a tragic transition for the family and our thoughts and prayers continue for Bob.

Jeff Kusler (posted 4/19/2011)

Jeff was attending his daughter's cheer competition in Kansas City when he experienced a mild heart attack. He had a 90% blockage in his left artery and a stint was put in place to repair the issue. He was released two days later and will begin to work on recovery and improved health for the future.

The Passing of Bobby Kelley's Sister (posted 4/19/2011)

Bobby's sister passed away unexpectedly in April. She was 43 and left behind a husband and 3 young children. The GTOA provided a floral arrangement for the funeral services. This was a very tough time for Bobby and his family and the GTOA continues to keep them in our thoughts and prayers.

A Special Thank You From Wanda Thomas (posted 8/20/2010)

"I apologize for taking so long to say these words to all of you who cared and checked on Don and remembered to pray for him and for me.

When I stepped into the chapel and saw so many striped shirts, my heart overflowed with gratitude for each one of you who honored Don so visibly, so overwhelmingly, by coming as officials, as well as dear friends.  You reminded me how proud I have always been to be an official's wife.   Some groups of people are just a cut above the rest of us, and I know that officials are at the top of the list.  You sacrifice precious time from home in order to make the world a better place because you were at your assigned duties.  I count myself luckiest of women to have known so many truly outstanding men.   

Thank you for your calls, visits, cards, flowers, funny stories, encouragement, offers of help, and your prayers.  Don and I knew that many, many prayers were sent to God's presence from family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, and church groups literally from all across this great nation.   How else did he survive over 16 years of this silent disease?  It's hard for me to believe that someone so vital and who loved life so much is really gone.   But many of you gave of your time to visit and to go places with him so that he could enjoy a "normal" life as long as he could.  

GTOA sent 2 gorgeous floral arrangements.  One was a spray with a football and a white hat.  I loved it.  What an appropriate remembrance.  I sent the football home with one of the grandsons.  We have a picture of Don showing Ethan (6 years old at the time) the Heisman pose.  The other was a huge peace lily, which the funeral director sent home with me.  It is so stately and beautiful, and I thank each of you again as I water and care for it.

Each of you is in my prayers as you begin your 2010-11 ball seasons.  I know the stresses but also the joys to which you look forward as you sign the sheets to start again.  How Don would have loved to be with you!  He was trying for 50 years, but 46 years isn't a bad record.  

Good luck to each of you.  I will be watching on TV and occasionally in the stands.  

I am one of your biggest fans,    

Wanda Thomas"

The Passing of Don Thomas (posted 6/7/2010)

Don Thomas at Rest, June 5th, 2010

We lost Don at 5:30am Saturday, June 5th, 2010.  He just quit breathing, an easy passing as far as I could tell.  He was surrounded by friends and family over the 3 weeks he was bedridden and showered with kisses and love up to the last.  His son Brad and I were restless and kept checking on him, so we were with him when his breathing became shallow and fast and then stopped. 

Services were held at Floral Haven in Broken Arrow, on Saturday, June 12, 2010. The chapel held 150 with a lobby that was used for overflow.  He was buried in his football uniform, and attending officials wore their uniforms in his honor.  It was a highly visible tribute to a man who dedicated himself to sports officiating and to the growth of the boys and girls who benefited from so many officials who shared this spirit.

Thank you for your prayers for me as well as for Don.  I know he lasted 16 years with this dreaded disease because so many, (so many!) of you held us up in prayers!  Life for me will not be as exciting without him.  He made me a better woman by his determination to really live his life, to "give every minute something to keep in store," as the old hymn says.  

I miss him, extremely.  But I have the peace and comfort only the Lord can give in knowing I will see him again.

Love,   Wanda

The Passing of Lance Agnew (posted 12/2/2009)

LANCE AGNEW - At Rest December 1, 2009

Lance Agnew, fellow official and friend, passed away on December 1st, 2009 after a courageous battle with brain cancer. The GTOA and OSSAA had made arrangements for Lance to be the Honorary Official and perform the coin toss at the 2009 6A State Championship game. This would have been his final on-field duty as an official, but he was unable to make that assignment as there was another plan for him. The loss of Lance is a tough event for our association but our memory of him will live on.